The Minneapolis Pops Orchestra is Searching for its Next Music Director!
After a storied 36-year career with the Minneapolis Pops Orchestra, Jere Lantz has put down his baton and now we are searching for our next Music Director. See the description below and feel free to apply!
Minneapolis Pops Orchestra Music Director
Opening Date: September 1st, 2022
Closing Date: December 1st, 2022
Job Type: Contractor/Part-time
Pay Range: Per-service Union scale for Twin Cities Musicians Union, Local 30-73
The Minneapolis Pops Orchestra invites applicants to join our organization as Music Director.
For 73 years, the Minneapolis Pops Orchestra has realized its vision of bringing the power and pleasure of live orchestra concerts, performed by professional musicians, to the Twin Cities community, free-of-charge. The Minneapolis Pops Orchestra, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, has an 11-member board of directors, and is made-up of 45 professional musicians, an Executive Director, an Operations Director, a Music Director, a Music Librarian, and an Education Director. The flagship creative activity of the Minneapolis Pops Orchestra is the 10 “Lake Harriet Concerts”, which takes place every weekend in July, and draws annual audiences of 30,000 people. Additional programs include “Free Concerts for Seniors”, which features concerts in July catering to Senior Citizens; “Kids Play”, which includes an educational component and side-by-side performance with the Minneapolis Pops Orchestra (also in July); and “The New Orchestral Repertoire Project”, which identifies new orchestra works which have been previously performed and are worthy additions to standard repertoire, but have not yet been widely performed.
The Music Director is the most visible member of the organization and is responsible for working with the programming committee to determine concert programs, conducting rehearsals and concerts, engaging the audience between pieces with interesting facts about composers/repertoire, and announcing any donor sponsorships or dedications from the stage. The Music Director works closely with the Executive Director to realize broad organizational goals, and with the Music Librarian to ensure concert repertoire is in order. The Music Director also attends board meetings to interface with board members and contribute to long-range planning and organizational vision.
Responsibilities of Music Director
- Determine concert programs
- Conduct rehearsals and concerts
- Engage audience between concert pieces with interesting historical facts about composers and repertoire
- Announce any donor sponsorships and/or dedications from stage
- Serve as the most visible member of the organization
- Collaborate and coordinate with board members, staff, and musicians of the Minneapolis Pops Orchestra
- The successful candidate is expected to contribute to a collegial and supportive environment, which advances the goals of the Minneapolis Pops Orchestra
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music
- Evidence of strong conducting technique and efficient rehearsal skills
- Evidence of experience working with professional musicians and knowledge of a wide range of repertoire
- An ability to speak compellingly to audiences and engage them in the music
- Demonstrated ability to create well-balanced, compelling concert programs
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. In the body of your email, please include up to 3 YouTube links of videos representative of your conducting skills.